Monday, November 15, 2004

cheating, teachers, and technology

From last week's presentations, I was especially grateful for the information on detecting student cheating. I am glad to know about all of the resources that are out there to help me as a teacher. The issue of cheating in the classroom is one that I think about a lot. There is a film that really has facilitated some of my thinking. The movie is The Emporer's Club. In the film, Kevin Klein is a teacher at a private school. He finds out that his student that he liked a lot was cheating in an academic competition. For various reasons, he lets the cheating pass. Then, many years later, he comes to discover that this former student, now an important figure in society, still resorts to cheating for personal gain. How responsible was Kevin Klein's character? How responsible are we, as teachers, for the honesty of our students? Let me know what you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very interesting question! How responsible are we for our students' honesty? Some would say, "Not my problem - everyone has agency. If a student is going to cheat, that's their decision." But I feel that as teachers we are partly responsible to teach our students to be moral people. I'm not saying teach them religion or anything, but I do feel that education - by nature - is a changing process. When you have truly learned, you have changed to a new person. The question is, into what kind of person did the learning help you become? As teachers I feel we are responsible to help students become something worthwhile through our educating of them.

November 16, 2004 at 10:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home